Each year, companies must decide on the best stem cell conferences and events to attend, among the dozens that are offered across North America, Europe, Asia, and to a lesser degree, other regions worldwide.
This is a major decision, because attending stem cell conferences requires a significant investment of time, energy, and resources.
Therefore, this post is your guide to the best stem cell conferences worldwide.
Top Stem Cell Conference of the Year
In late 2015, the BioInformant team attended the “World Stem Cell Summit” in Atlanta, GA, which was an incredible stem cell conference. This year in 2016, the stem cell conference is being held in West Palm Beach, FL, on December 6-9, 2016. (Yes, get your swimsuit ready. You have an excuse to be in West Palm Beach in December!)
The event features 1,200 attendees representing from more than 40 countries. Impressively, there are also up to seven speaker tracks occuring at a time. Because of the shear volume of the content being shared, you can choose targeted content suited to your specific interests.
In addition to the concurrent speaker tracks, there are also Expert Luncheon Roundtables, Investor Presentations, a Stem Cell Actions Award Dinner, and 1-on-1 networking opportunities.
For this reason, the World Stem Cell Summit event gets my honor of being the “Top Stem Cell Conference of the Year.”
It is an event that I highly recommend that every stem cell industry participant experience at least once in their lifetime.
(Heck, if you are on the fence still, I have some insider intel for you. Click here to see the Top 10 Quotes from Day 1 of the conference or Gems Shared During Day 2.)
Noteworthy Stem Cell Conferences
I was also impressed by the Perinatal Stem Cell Conference held in Aspen, CO, over March 3-5, 2106. This is another exceptional event, because it attracts a targeted group of stem cell industry enthusiasts curious about perinatal stem cell types, such as stem cells found within cord blood and tissue, as well as those located within the placental, amnion, and chorion.
Additionally, I enjoy the “Cell and Gene Therapy” and “Stem Cells In Vitro” conferences hosted by Phacilitate in Washington, DC. While affected by a giant snowfall this year, it is a huge industry event and attracts a global base of stem cell industry participants. The organizers are also top-notch, praise that I do not give lightly.
This year, there is another special event is on the agenda, “10 Years of iPSCs.” In 2006, Drs. Yamanaka and Takahashi announced the discovery of induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) in the journal Cell. Over the decade that followed, iPSCs became a staple within the stem cell community, used as research reagents, preclinical tools, and potential therapeutic agents within cell therapy applications.
Criteria for Assessing Top 10 Stem Cell Conferences
Clearly, I think all of the conferences above are valuable and important stem cell conferences to attend. However, there dozens of other stem cell industry events each year that are either directly or indirectly related to stem cells.
For this reason, you can see my top 10 favorite stem cell conferences below, as well as the criteria that I used to select them.
Criteria Used to Determine Top Stem Cell Conferences
- Total attendee count
- Specificity of content to the stem cell field
- Attendance by major stem cell industry players, including key companies and thought-leaders
- Reputation of conference organizer
- Diversity of attendees by geographic region
- Diversity of attendees by type of industry participant (commercial, clinical, scientific, academic, and non-profit)
- Availability of networking (1-on-1) opportunities
- My personal experience at the stem cell conference
Top 10 Stem Cell Industry Conferences of 2016
Without any further ado, here is my list of the Top 10 Stem Cell Industry Conferences of 2016.
Please note that they are ordered by date (not by rank), from January to December.
Top 10 Stem Cell Conferences
- “Cell and Gene Therapy” and “Stem Cells In Vitro” by Phacilitate – Jan 25-27, 2016 (Washington, DC)
- 6th World Congress on Cell & Stem Cell Research – Feb 29 – March 2, 2016 (Philadelphia, PA)
- Perinatal Stem Cell Conference – March 2-4, 2016 (Aspen, CO)
- 5th Stem Cell Product Development & Commercialization Conference – April 26-27, 2016 (Boston, MA)
- World Stem Cells & Regenerative Medicine Congress – May 18-19, 2016 (London, UK), held in conjunction with the World Cord Blood Congress Europe 2016 – May 18-19, 2016 (London, UK)
- International Society for Cell Therapy (ISCT) 2016 – May 25-28, 2016 (Singapore)
- ISSCR 2016 – June 22-25, 2016 (San Francisco, CA)
- 10 Years of iPSCs – September 25-26, 2016 (Berkeley, CA)
- Changing the Face of Modern Medicine: Stem Cells and Gene Therapy – October 18-21, 2016 (Florence, Italy)
- World Stem Cell Summit 2016 – Dec 6-8, 2016 (West Palm Beach, FL)
Love other stem cell conferences? Leave you favorite stem cell events in the comments below and encourage other stem cell industry participants to meet you there!
BioInformant is the only market research firm to specialize in the stem cell industry. Our research has been cited by the Wall Street Journal, Xconomy, and Vogue Magazine. Serving industry leaders that include GE Healthcare, Pfizer, and Goldman Sachs, BioInformant is your global leader in stem cell industry data.
Tommaso De Beni says
I would like to advertise the 3rd international congress on responsible stem cell research that will take place in Padua from 16 to 18 november 2016 with the presence on video conference of Nobel Prize Shinya Yamanaka.
The Department of Women’s and Children’s Health of the University of Padova, in collaboration with the Pontifical Academy for Life, is organizing the 3rd International Congress on Responsible Stem Cell Research. The Congress is set to take place in Padova from 16 to 18 November 2016.
Nobel-Prize winner Shinya Yamanaka will join the Scientific Committee on video conference.