Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are multipotent stem cells that can differentiate into a variety of cell types, including osteoblasts, chondrocytes, myocytes, adipocytes, beta-pancreatic islets cells, and potentially, other cell types. MSCs are of intense therapeutic interest because they represent a population of cells with the potential to treat a wide range of acute and degenerative diseases.
MSCs are advantageous over other stem cells types for a variety of reasons: they avoid the ethical issues that surround embryonic stem cell research, and repeated studies have found MSCs to be immuno-privileged, which make them an advantageous cell type for allogenic transplantation. MSCs reduce both the risks of rejection and complications of transplantation. Recently, there have been advances in the use of autologous mesenchymal stem cells to regenerate human tissues, including cartilage, meniscus, tendons, bone fractures, and more.
The Market for Mesenchymal Stem Cell Products
Recently released, the global strategic report “Mesenchymal Stem Cells – Advances & Applications” explores recent advances in MSC research applications, research priorities by market segment, and the competitive environment for MSC research products.
This global strategic report explores recent advances in mesenchymal stem cells research applications, research priorities by market segment, and the competitive environment for MSC research products. It also identifies trend and growth patterns within the MSC industry. Because it is important for pharmaceutical companies interested to understand underlying forces affecting the mesenchymal stem cell market, this report also presents a range of topics that apply to these companies, including how advances in MSC research can reveal potential new drug targets, improve methods of drug delivery, and provide personalized treatment strategies.
Clinical Applications of Mesenchymal Stem Cells
In particular, MSCs appear to be an exceptionally promising tool for cell therapy, because of their unusual advantages, which include availability, expandability, transplantability, and ethical implications.
Interest in therapeutic applications of human MSCs arises from their diverse ability to differentiate into a range of cell types, as well as from their ability to migrate to sites of tissue injury/inflammation or tumor growth. These localization properties present a promising strategy for targeted introduction of therapeutic agents through MSC therapy. In addition, MSCs possess strong immunosuppressive properties that medical researchers are exploiting for both autologous as well as heterologous therapies. MSCs have inspired substantial activity over the past ten years as a novel therapeutic model for a wide range of diseases.
The clinical utility and potential of MSCs are mostly attributed to their four key biological properties, which are that they:
1. Migrate to sites of inflammation caused by tissue injury when injected intravenously
2. Become differentiated into different cell types
3. Release different bioactive molecules having the potential of stimulating recovery of injured cells and preventing inflammation
4. Accomplish immunomodulatory functions
The purpose of this report is to describe the current status of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) research, the ongoing clinical trials involving MSCs, late stage MSCs clinical trials, and the possible uses of MSC therapy. As MSC cell therapy is an integrated component of cell therapy (CT) and regenerative medicine (RM), the report also gives a brief overview of the RM industry and overall CT industry.
Thus, the main objectives are to consider the following:
• Current status of global regenerative medicine (RM) industry in the utilization of stem cells in general and MSCs in particular.
• Current status of global cell therapy (CT) industry, the application of cell therapy in various disease indications, and the total number of clinical trials involving the different types of stem cells.
• Current status of MSCs in clinical trials, the dominance of MSCs in the ongoing clinical trials involving stem cells, the various applications of MSCs in different disease indications, and the number of clinical trials involving MSCs for different disease types.
• The number of companies involved in the development of MSCs, the clinical trials sponsored by major companies, and their sustained search for MSC-based cell therapy products.
Key questions answered in this global strategic report are:
• How many companies are currently supporting the RM industry?
• What is the current regional breakdown of RM industry?
• How many RM products have been approved?
• What are the types of diseases are currently being pursued by RM companies?
• What are the major financial events, partnerships and acquisitions in RM sector?
• How do the large pharma companies perceive the value and long-term prospects of RM and CT?
• What are the major anticipated RM clinical events in 2015-16?
View Executive Summary and ToC: https://bioinformant.wpengine.com/product/mesenchymal-stem-cells-advances-and-applications/
BioInformant is the first and only market research firm to specialize in the stem cell industry. BioInformant research has been cited by the Wall Street Journal, Xconomy, and Vogue Magazine. Serving Fortune 500 leaders that include GE Healthcare, Pfizer, and Goldman Sachs, BioInformant is your global leader in stem cell industry data.