Among cell therapy companies, the pressure to manufacture innovation and optimization can incentivize them to seek third-party partners who possess technical, manufacturing, and regulatory expertise, such as cell therapy contract and development manufacturing organizations (CDMOs). Currently, there are nearly 30 cell therapy CDMOs specializing in manufacturing and clinical trial support for cell therapy companies.
Cell Therapies CDMOs Around the World
Benefits of partnering with a cell therapy CDMO include scalability, speed to market, access to technical expertise without overhead costs, and cost efficiencies.
List of Cell Therapies CDMOs Supporting Clinical Trials
Current cell therapy CDMOs operating worldwide include:
- WuXi PharmaTech, Including Subsidiary WuXi AppTech, Inc.
- Lonza, Cell Therapy Manufacturing Unit (Acquired PharmaCell, B.V. in May 2017)
- MasTHerCell, Acquired by Orgenesis
- Miltenyi Bioprocess, the Contract Manufacturing Business of Miltenyi Biotec
- Hitachi Chemical Advanced Therapeutics Solutions (HCATS)/PCT – HCATS acquired PCT March 2017
- Nikon CeLL innovation Co., Ltd. (“NCLi”), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nikon Corporation
- KBI Biopharma – Acquired Opexa Assets, February 2017
- Brammer Bio – Formed through Merger of Brammer Biopharmaceuticals and Florida Biologix
- CELLforCURE – CELLforCURE is a pharmaceutical establishment authorized to manufacture cell and gene therapy products. It signed a July 2018 agreement to manufacture CAR-T products for Novartis.
- CCRM – Built a 10,000 ft² Centre for Advanced Therapeutic Cell Technologies within a 40,000 ft² facility featuring a GMP facility; Supported by CAD $40M from GE and FedDev Ontario
- Takara Bio – Since October 2014, Takara Bio has been offering gene and cellular therapy manufacturing and operational support as a CDMO business at the Center for Gene and Cell Processing, located in Kusatsu, Japan.
- Roslin Cell Therapies, a Subsidiary of Roslin Cells
- Apceth Biopharm
- Cognate Bioservices, Inc.
- MEDINET Co. Ltd.
- The Clinical Trial Company (TCTC)
- Praxis Pharmaceutical
- Cellular Therapeutics Ltd. (CTL)
- CTI Clinical Trial and Consulting
- ACG Asahi Glass – Bought German CDMO company Biomeva in September 2016
- Eufets GmbH
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft
- Molmed S.p.A.
- Advent Bioservices Ltd
- Cell Therapies Pty Ltd (CTPL)
- Gravitas Biomanufacturing – Newly formed company specializing in cell therapies
- C3i – Has the only fully operational cGMP manufacturing unit in Canada with commercial capacity (CCRM’s unit in Toronto has not yet opened), including 14 clean rooms on 37,000 sq. ft. fully equipped for Cell and Gene Therapy work.
- Akron Biotech – Focus is on development and manufacture of ancillary materials and novel products/tools under cGMP compliance for tissue, cell and gene therapies.
- Q-Gen Cell Therapeutics – Provides state-of-the-art-facilities for the manufacturing of cellular therapies to GMP standards, with expertise in human and non-human cell and cellular product development and production.
Growing Demand for CDMO Services
With many market participants now offering cell therapy CDMO services, demand for these services is clearly expanding.
To learn more, view the “Market Size Determination for the Cell Therapy CDMO Market.”
In your opinion, what role do you think CDMOs should play in cell therapy manufacturing? Share your thoughts in the comments below.